Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Could Orb Be Infected?

I use Orb version 1, since version 2 refuses to operate for me. This morning my firewall notified me that Orb had changed. However, I was not notified, or requested, to do an update. I was just leaving for work, so I did not write anything down, but the details indicated the source of the change had yahoo in its domain name. This is too suspicious, so now I don't feel like I can let Orb run, or get out of my system because it may have been infected. I hear that messaging programs are being used as a conduit for exploits, and that yahoo messenger had an urgent security update. Should I do an Add/Remove on Orb and reinstall?

1 comment:

Christopher said...

Take a note of the filesize, uninstall, reinstall a fresh copy from the original installer, and compare.

If they're identical, something in your virus scanner's heuristics engine has changed. Maybe email Orb and ask them, or use their forums.